of the Myrtle Cottage Site 1939
To get our
Nowadays the road through Myrtle Cottages occupies
the position of the trench being excavated above. A house on Mill
Street can just be seen in the top right hand corner, just to
the left of that is Prospect House.
acre site prior to 1939 was a pasture field with ancient apple
trees dotted around. In the Spring of 1939 a decision was made
to excavate the site as it was to be used for building houses.
Caerleon being the only example of a legionary fortress not almost
completely built over, an opportunity like this was not to be
wasted. The excavations took the form of eight trenches, in addition
three sections of buildings were completely uncovered.
buildings (similar to the ones in Prysg Field) and the outer defences
of the North East corner of the fort were located. The most spectacular
find was a hoard of five gold coins dating from 55 to 74 AD. These
coins were found in the 'early occupation layer' underlying the
stone barracks - almost certainly lost or hidden in the first
few years of occupation.
were completed by July, just two months before World War II began.