||Aerial photo of excavations
on the 'Roman Gates' site (centre picture).
Excavation started January 2nd 1980 and was concluded May 10th 1981.
During this period approximately 1000 square metres was stripped
of topsoil and excavated to a depth of up to 2 metres below the
modern ground surface.
Amongst the structures uncovered were: a section of the ramparts
including a turret; roadways; ovens and barrack buildings. During
Roman occupation the buildings had gone through six structural phases
and evidence of occupation in the fifth century and early medieval
times was found.
For more information on the excavations read "ROMAN
GATES CAERLEON", by D R Evans and V M Metcalf, published 1992,
ISBN 0 946897 36 0.
Photo courtesy of The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust Ltd.